- To collect, analyse and disseminate information concerning the global cancer burden and to improve the timeliness of this information;
- To provide support to cancer registries worldwide in terms of development, staff training, promotion of common standards for coding and classification and ensuring effective use of data produced;
- To increase coverage by population-based cancer registration in particular in low- and medium-resource countries;
- To conduct a program of research in the descriptive epidemiology of cancer including geographical analyses, time trends and the estimation of the future burden of the disease;
- To develop the use of new sources of information concerning the burden of cancer and novel methodological approaches in the analysis of registration data;
- To develop online global cancer statistics tools for inclusion within CancerMondial.