About IARC

IARC Welcome Pack


NB: These are general guidelines - of course, each case is different.

Before arriving at IARC, you should take care of all matters related to your stay as early as possible, to make the stay as pleasant as possible for you and your family:
  • administrative formalities before and during the stay
  • housing
  • insurance
  • documents to bring with you
  • opening a bank account
  • French classes, and more ...

Before your arrival in France

Make sure you complete all the required administrative formalities. These will vary according to nationality and duration of stay. Future staff members should contact the IARC Human Resources Office for advice on visas. Non-EU students and scientists who plan to stay for more than 90 days (3 months) must obtain a long-stay visa from the French consulate nearest to their place of residence after receiving a “Convention d’accueil” (hosting agreement) from IARC. Contact the French consulate to check which documents are needed for the visa application. This process may take some time and should be started some time in advance of the period during which the candidate will be based at IARC. For further information about the procedures, see the “Residence Permit” section.

Documents you will need in France

The following is a list of original documents you should bring with you to France to facilitate completing your administrative formalities:

  • A passport that is valid for the duration of the stay, or your identity card if you are a European national
  • Visa (if required)
  • The hosting agreement (“Convention d’accueil”), stamped by the French consulate (if you are a scientist)
  • A certificate that proves you have health insurance valid for France for the duration of your stay
  • Proof of adequate financial means during your stay (in the case of scientists, the “Convention d’accueil” is considered a statement of financial responsibility by the hosting institution and can be used as proof when applying for the visa and residence permit)
  • Your marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • The “livret de famille” (an official family record book; may be replaced by birth and marriage certificates)
  • A birth certificate for each member of the family (for the residence permit)
  • Your vaccination certificates
  • Health and vaccination records for each child
  • Children’s school records
  • Your diplomas, in particular your PhD diploma, if applicable
  • ID photos (full face, not smiling, and head uncovered)
  • In case of special family circumstances (e.g. divorced with accompanying children), please check the requirements with your local French consulate and/or the Human Resources Office/Fellowship Programme Office.

It is highly recommended that you bring certified French translations of these documents, translated by an accredited translator, and that you make copies of the most important documents in case of loss or theft.

We recommend that you ask the French embassy or consulate about certified translations. We recommend that you carry with you at all times the addresses and telephone numbers of people and organizations that may help you in France in case of an administrative or health problem or an accident.

For drivers:
If you wish to drive in France, remember to bring with you a valid driver’s licence and check whether a reciprocity agreement exists between France and your country. See the “Driver’s Licence” section.

The following information concerns non-European nationals who must apply for a visa to come to France.

If you are a doctoral student, you can have “Student” or “Scientist” status (“étudiant” ou “scientifique”). If your host institution provides you with a “Convention d’accueil” (hosting agreement), this will entitle you to request a “Scientist” visa at the French consulate. You should be clear on this point before leaving because once you are in France your status will depend on the type of visa with which you enter France. If you are a scientist or university teacher, you will have “Scientist” status.

If you come with your spouse, he or she will have to apply for a long-stay visa mentioning “conjoint de scientifique”. If you come with your family (spouse, children), you must request a visa for each family member at the time you apply for your own. Children must travel with their own passports.

It is also possible for you to take French classes before you leave. Addresses of French cultural centres, institutes, and Alliances Franç aises that provide courses are available at your nearest French consulate and are listed in the “Further Information about Living in Lyon” section.

At the end of your stay

Before leaving France, remember to:

Cancel any policies and subscriptions you may have taken out, such as gas, electricity, telephone, Internet access, water, home insurance, and car insurance.

NB: You should not close your bank account immediately because you may have to make payments or receive reimbursements. For example, the owner of your rental property has 2 months to return your deposit (if necessary, after deducting a certain sum for repairs of damages for which you may be responsible). Also, if you were in your apartment on 1 January, you will also need to pay the “Taxe d’habitation” (housing tax), usually in November, for the current year.

Notify everyone concerned of your change of address: the post office (to forward your mail for 6 months or 1 year), your friends and family, and your bank, among others.